Monday, February 24, 2014

Animorphs 30 Day Challenge: Day 20 - Influence in Life

Day Twenty: How has Animorphs influenced your life?

I've been reading and rereading this series for almost 8 years now, so the series influenced me a lot, more than I wanted to, more likely. 

1. The very first good influence of Animorphs to me is in reading - it made me read beyond Sweet Valley thanks be to gods all over the multiverse. The story: I was browsing through the SV books in one bookshop (Expressions Batangas City, RIP), and not finding anything that I didn't read yet, I tried to check on other books. Lo and behold, there's this discounted book, and it's the first book of a series, so I thought I'd try something new. And that's the beginning of constantly checking thrift bookshops for the Animorphs books that I do not have yet (I'm 8 short of 54).

2. It gave me more treehugger influences, thanks to Cassie, and to the entire story line really. I have an environmental cousin, but she's just one, and I'm really lucky to have Animorphs because it opened my mind to what humans can do for the environment during my younger years. It seeded my dream to become an environmentalist, and here I am now, trying to finish my Environmental Engineering masters.

3.It also opened my dear young mind to philosophical questions and ideas without bombarding it with technicalities of philosophy. It didn't give me Marx or Kierkegaard or Machiavelli yet, but it gave me a jumpstart to ask questions about life, death, and everything in between, or does that in between really matter. It removed me from the mediocre philo stuff that Christian Social Living books from my elementary years that they force fed to us. (No offense meant to the religion. It's just that I think they should let us reflect on it and dissect it afterwards, or just let us read the Bible and instruct us to make tons of paper work, than force feeding it to us.)

No comments:

Post a Comment